The USC University Archives is the repository for the records of permanent value officially made or received by the University of Southern California, and for other materials of historical value related to the functions of the University.
The University Archives collects the following types of materials:
- Official records of historical importance emanating from any unit of the University including administrative offices, academic divisions, schools, departments, organized research units, the Academic Senate, University committees, etc.
- Publications emanating from any unit of the University, including catalogs handbooks, program announcements, directories, commencement and stage production programs, art exhibition catalogs, research publications, newsletters, and miscellaneous brochures and posters.
- Records of individual faculty and staff created in their official capacities in the University. Diaries, lecture notes, professional correspondence, and unpublished manuscripts of members of the faculty and staff may be included in the Archives. Although materials not created in an official capacity are regarded as personal papers, they often contain valuable information about the University.
- Historical papers related to the University that are worthy of preservation.
- The records and publications of University supported or affiliated organizations, including groups such as Town and Gown, General Alumni Association, and the Friends of the Library.
- The records and publications of student and alumni organizations and groups, and the publications edited by students, including newsletters, correspondence, minutes, newspapers, yearbooks, literary journals, flyers, and other items of interest.
- Photographic material, including prints and negatives of still and motion pictures relating to the campus, buildings, faculty, staff, students, events, and life of the University.
- Other audio-visual material, including microforms, videotapes, audiotapes, and discs of University events, programs, speeches, interviews, etc.
- Cartographic material and blueprints created as part of the official function of an academic department or service unit of the University.
View the University Archives research guide.