Use these directions to request books and early manuscripts using the Specialized Research Collections Request System, after you have created a request account.
- Open a web browser and go to the USC Libraries Specialized Research Collections Contact Information home page.
- Click the link “Specialized Research Collections Request System.” You will be presented with two options: one for USC users and one for Other users. Choose the appropriate button and log in.
- From your account page, select “Homer” from the New Request section.
- Locate the title you want in the catalog, click on the title to open the record. At the bottom of the record you should see a link that says “request this item.” Click on this link
- You will then see a screen that asks you to login. If you are already logged in you will not need to do so again, simply click the login button for your affiliation (USC or Other).
- You will be taken to your account page, showing the book request with all information automatically completed. (Remember: create a request for each volume you want to view.)
- When you make the request, please provide the date you wish to consult the item; if you are making the request once you are in a Specialized Research Collections reading room you do not need to choose a date.
- Click on the "Submit Request" button at the bottom of the screen to complete the request. Please note: Rare books located in Grand Depository may take up to a week to retrieve.
- Once you have submitted a request you will see a message across the top of the screen that tells you the transaction number for that request and how many active requests you currently have. The limit is 25. You will also see all other items you have requested. Check back periodically to find out the status of your request.
Questions about making a request? Contact us!