©2017 University of Southern California
Alumni & Friends
Overview of Services
Library accounts for alumni include the following services based on availability:
- Facility access for all USC Libraries locations
- Borrowing of standard circulating material for 4 weeks, up to 40 items at a time
- Use of library information kiosk computers in the Doheny Memorial Library (DML). Access can be requested at the DML Circulation Desk.
- Use of library microform readers, scanners, and photocopiers
- Paging of materials from Grand Library
- Recalling materials checked out by other users
- In-person reference assistance
- Reading room access for rare books and archivalmaterials
Computer Workstations are available at Doheny Memorial Library; please go to the circulation desk for the username and password.
Copy & Print services are available at all libraries. Print cards may be purchased at Leavey, Doheny, or the Science & Engineering Library.
For more information, see Borrowing Privileges
- Please see our FAQ regarding alumni access to databases
- Remote access to the ProQuest Research Library and JSTOR is available to members of the USC Alumni Association
- Special Collections – The USC Libraries' Special Collections is a non-circulating research library open to the general public. Please consult these guidelines for first-time visitors.
- Research Guides – These are created by librarians and point to subscription-based and freely accessible resources on particular subjects and disciplines.
- DOAJ The Directory of Open Access Journals includes freely available peer-reviewed journals on all subjects.
- DOAB: Directory of Open Access Books provides open access to over 854 Academic peer-reviewed books from 25 publishers.
- SSRN The Social Science Research Network has material from across a broad range of the social sciences and includes conference papers, journal articles, book chapters, and more
- ArXiv.org Open access to nearly 800,000 e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance and Statistics, and related fields.
- https://www.plos.org/ PLoS – highly regarded journals in the area of science, particularly biological sciences.
- PubMedCentral Full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM). NIH grant recipients are required to deposit their final, peer-reviewed manuscripts in the PubMedCentral archive upon acceptance for publication, with this content to be made publicly accessible within 12 months of publication.
- Sage Open – Communication, Education, Psychology, and other social science journal articles published with Sage Open. (http://sgo.sagepub.com/)
- USC Digital Library includes photographs, images, and other digitized collections. Includes over 56,000 USC published theses and dissertations.
- Digital Public Library of America http://dp.la/ Digital collections, books, photographs, and other formats searchable in one place.
- The San Francisco Public Library issues e-cards to any resident of California, which gives them access to their online resources.