©2016 University of Southern California
Library Schedule this Week
Printers, copiers, and scanners are located on the first and second floors.
Collaborative workrooms are available on the Lower Level and the 2nd floors of Leavey Library. To reserve a group study room, go to http://libcal.usc.edu.
Located in the first-floor lobby.
Computing facilities are available on the second floor. Mac and PC options available.
University of Southern California
651 West 35th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2571
Campus map code: LVL
Circulation (213) 740-4350
Administration (213) 740-0049
Lower Level Information Commons (213) 740-9223
2nd Floor Information Commons (213) 740-7988
Reference Consultations (213) 740 6938
ITS Customer Support (213) 740 5555
About this library
The Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Library provides a state-of-the-art learning environment for students and faculty at the University of Southern California. Leavey’s print and electronic collections, services, and technology are designed to facilitate coursework, studying, and research. Experts are available 24 hours a day to provide assistance with research and computing. Leavey’s technology-enhanced spaces support teaching and individual or group study—as well as film screenings, multimedia production and viewing, presentations, and videoconferencing.
Leavey Library Second Floor Now Open
Renovation of the 2nd floor in Leavey Library is complete. All areas of the 2nd floor received new carpet, paint and furniture that matches the décor of the 1st floor and basement. Upgrades include:
- more study seats - increased from 206 to 310 seats
- upgraded desktop computers - increased to 76 Windows and Mac desktops running productivity, statistical, and design software
- more access to electricity for laptop users - group study rooms have tables with electrical outlets for laptop use, new study tables and laptop lounge chairs provide easy access to electricity
- more collaborative rooms - 17 group study rooms hold 4-6 students each, 2 new group study rooms (202A and 202J) added for large groups of 14 students each
- more printer/scanner/copiers - new "printer bar" holds 4 printer/scanner/copiers and 1 photocopier
- faster network connectivity - within the next month, network connectivity will increase 10 times to 1 gigabit per second
- new reading area in lobby - New Books (books added within last three months) and McNaughton Collection (recent bestsellers), with comfortable chairs
- Information Desk - open all building hours with help for reference questions, printer and computer issues on the 2nd floor
- Library Security Desk - laptop lock checkout and help with security issues
- Research Consultation Room - research consultations with librarians
The 2nd floor renovation was funded by the Provost's Office.
Leavey offers a core research and reference collection, a film library of more than 7000 DVDs, and a selection of the most requested academic journals, magazines, and newspapers. You can browse Leavey’s featured collections of plays, classic works of literature and philosophy, recent best-sellers, and new books. The USC Libraries also provide a wealth of online resources, including full-text journals, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and photographic databases at www.usc.edu/libraries/eresources.
Research and Computing Help
- Reference librarians provide individual research assistance by consultation appointment and online at Ask-A-Librarian.
- Reference and computing help is available 24 hours a day in the Upper Information Commons during the fall and spring semesters.
- Consultants from the Writing Center are available to help with course papers in the Ahmanson Information Commons (Leavey Lower Level) during the fall and spring semesters.
- Librarians teach a variety of classes about research basics and critical strategies for finding, evaluating, and using print and online information effectively.
Circulation Desk: Your USCard is also your library card. Present it at the circulation desk on the first floor to borrow or renew materials, and to obtain information about your account. You can also pay fines and report lost items or library cards.
Course Reserves: Undergraduate and graduate course reserves are available at the Leavey circulation desk. The USC Libraries’ online catalog HOMER shows a complete list of reserves materials arranged by professors’ names and course numbers. Electronic course reserves are available at reserves.usc.edu
Leavey Library is located on the northeast corner of campus (near the intersection of Jefferson Boulevard and Figueroa Street).
Closest campus entrance to Leavey Library is Gate Entrance #3 ((213) 740 3848), located at the intersection of West 35th Street and Figueroa Street, which is open 24 hours a day. Public parking is available for $10.00 Monday through Friday. Parking availability may change due to special events.
Please note: Only USC students, faculty, and staff may be present in libraries open after 9:00 p.m. or before 7:00 a.m. All patrons will be asked to present their USC-issued identification during these times. For more information, please see our Access and Borrowing Policies page.