Where is Leavey?
Leavey Library is located at the intersection of West 35th Street and Hoover Boulevard on the northeast corner of campus (near the intersection of Jefferson Boulevard and Figueroa Street). Mailing address: 651 W. 35th. St. University of Southern California Leavey Library Los Angeles, CA 90089-2571
What are Leavey's hours?
During the Fall and Spring semesters, Leavey is open 24 hours, except from 12:00 AM (Midnight) on Saturday - 9:00 AM on Sunday. Hours vary on holidays and semester breaks. For current hours, please go to the library's Hours page.
The general public may use the libraries when resources are not in use by or reserved for USC members. (Please note: Only USC members, USC alumni, and sponsored guests may be present in libraries open after 10 p.m. and/or before 7 a.m. All patrons will be asked to present their USCard or library-issued USC identification during these times.) For more information please see the Facilities usage page.
Important phone numbers
Access Services - check out books, get reserves and audio-visual materials, and to claim lost items 213/740-4350
Administrative Office - Librarian offices 213/740-0049 (voice) 213/740-7713 (fax)
2nd Floor Information Commons - 213/740-7988
Where do I go for assistance in Leavey?
Computing assistance is available in the Lower Commons. Reference librarians are available during the afternoon and early evening hours (hours vary during the summer, breaks and holidays) to assist students, faculty, and others in locating information via print and electronic resources. Student navigational assistants (SNAs) in the 2nd floor Information Comons provide basic research, computing, and printing assistance and are available at all times Leavey is open.
Lost and Found
Items left at Leavey Library can be claimed at the circulation desk, located on the left side of the main entrance lobby on the first floor. All items--including I.D.s--left in the 2nd Floor Information Commons are deposited at the circulation desk throughout the day.
How do I sign up for a Group Study Room?
Reservations can be made up to 7 days in advance online at libcal.usc.edu. The 2nd Floor Information Commons has 13 rooms designed for 4-6 people, and 2 rooms designed for 10 or more people. All workrooms provide a white board, dry erase markers, and network connections for laptops.
What kind of computers does Leavey have?
Leavey Library now has Windows laptops available for graduate and undergraduate checkout ONLY. These laptops feature web browsers, Microsoft Office, and Acrobat Reader. The checkout period is 8 hours, no renewals, and no holds. These laptops are available on a first-come, first served basis and must be returned to the Leavey circulation desk by the due date/time to avoid fines. Patrons must complete and sign a borrowing agreement form.
The 2nd Floor Information Commons contains 75 computers (Windows and Macs), laptop study spaces, with network connections and wireless connectivity. The 2nd Floor Information Commons also has 4 Express Stations available for a maximum of 5 minutes to send print jobs or for short computing sessions (such as checking email).
Where are the printers, photocopiers, and scanners?
Leavey Library printers are available on the Lower Level, 1st, and 2nd floors. Laptop users may print wirelessly using labprint.usc.edu.
Photocopiers are available on the 1st and 2nd floors.
For more information, please see the Print, Scan or Copy page.
Where can I find books?
Books which can be checked out are located on various floors of Leavey Library.
- Located on the 4th Floor, Leavey's general collection covers most general subject areas and is geared to support the undergraduate curriculum.
- The Leavey Reference Collection is comprised of books and journals that support research and study. It includes materials such as encyclopedias, graduate test prep books, and writing style guides. Due to summer construction, the reference books are currently located book trucks in the southeast corner of the 4th floor.
- Leavey's popular collection -- known as the McNaughton Collection -- features recently published fiction, graphic novels, and non-fiction titles. These books are located in the 3rd floor lobby.
- The newest titles added to Leavey Library's collection are temporarily located (for three months) on Leavey's new books shelf. The new books circulate for four weeks and include new titles supporting the new General Education curriculum. Due to construction, the New Books are currently located on a book truck in the Periodicals Reading Room on the first floor.
- Based on donations from the USC School of Dramatic Arts faculty, Leavey Library maintains a collection of plays. Titles include both individual plays and anthologies. The drama collection is located in the 4th floor lobby.
To search for books held in the USC libraries use the online library catalog, HOMER
How do I check out books?
To check out books you need a current library card; to get a library card bring your USC Identification Card to any library circulation desk. Once you have a valid library card, you can check books out from any library.
Where can I find journals, magazines and newspapers?
Current journals, Bound journals, magazines and newspapers are located in the Periodicals Reading Room on the first floor of Leavey past the circulation desk.