We welcome opportunities to teach and co-teach classes on research with Special Collections materials.
We are happy to guide instructors through the pedagocical approaches that our instruction librarians have developed for teaching primary source literacy during class visits to Special Collections.
Instruction Librarians in Special Collections teach and provide:
- Class visits in a variety of formats: from general introductions to opportunities to embed Special Collections materials and librarians in your course.
- An introduction to primary source literacy including locating, using, and handling rare materials in Special Collections.
- Hands-on in-class activities which introduce students to the independent research process and stimulate critical thinking skills.
- Identification of relevant primary source materials for your course topic (physical and digital materials).
- Consultation and leadership in the development of assignments requiring students to conduct research with primary sources.
Please use our Class Request Form to schedule a visit to Special Collections with your students.
Please submit your request for a class visit to Special Collections at least 2 weeks in advance to allow us time to prepare materials for your visit. Earlier notice is appreciated as our instruction calendar fills up quickly.
If this is your first time bringing a class to Special Collections, we require an in-person consultation with one of our instruction librarians prior to the class visit as well as the syllabus for the course.
The consultation will provide an introduction to our teaching model, and will facilitate a discussion about our mutual learning outcomes for the vist as well as the selection of primary sources.
Our main instruction room (DML206) can accommodate classes of up to 40 students. We also have a smaller seminar room (DML208) for groups of up to 8 students. The main room is equipped with a retractable screen which may be used for presentations. All rooms in Doheny Memorial Library are equipped with WiFi.
If you have any questions or need special arrangements, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org