Joy Kim, Curator, Korean Heritage Library
firstname.lastname@example.org; (213) 740 2329
- M.L.S. University of California, Los Angeles
- B.A. Ewha Women’s University, Seoul, Korea
- Sept. 1989- Curator, Korean Heritage Library, University of Southern California
- 1988 - July 2007 Team Leader, CJK Team, Information Delivery, Organization, and Retrieval, USC
- Kim, Joy, Kyungmi Chun, and Hyokyoung Yi. “Korea.” Handbook for Asian Studies Specialists: A Guide to Research Materials and Collection Building Tools, Ed. Noriko Asato, Santa Barbara: Libraries Unlimited/ABC-CLIO, 2013. 289-401.
- Kim, Joy. “Characteristics of Korean Studies Librarianship.” Handbook for Korean Studies Librarianship Outside of Korea. Seoul, Korea: National Library of Korea; Ann Arbor: Committee on Korean Materials, Council on East Asian Libraries, 2014. 331-338.
- Kim, Joy, Eun Kyung Kwon. “Scholarly Communication in Korea” Scholarly Communication in China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Ed. Jingfeng Xia. Oxford, UK : Chandos Publishing, 2008. 93-122.
- Kim, Joy, Ed. Korean Librarianship Outside of Korea: a Practical Guide and Manual. Seoul, Korea: Asian Culture Press for the Committee on Korean Materials, Council on East Asian Studies, Association for Asian Studies, 2002.
- Kim, Joy, Comp. Library of Congress Subject Headings Related to Korea and General East Asia. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Committee on East Asian Libraries, Association for Asian Studies, 1989.
- Jeong, Wooseob, Joy Kim, Miree Ku "Spaces in Korean Bibliographic Records: To Be, or Not To Be," Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 47, 8 (Nov. 2009): 708-721.
- “그곳에 한국이 있었다: 남캘리포니아대학교 한국학도서관 = KHL: Korean Heritage Library at the University of Southern California,” 국회도서관, Jan. 2014: 10-15
- “한국의 역사와 뿌리가 있는USC 한국학도서관,” 출판저널, Jan. 2012: 50-57
- “북미주 한국학도서관 1990~2009: 회고, 현황, 전망,” 해외 한국학도서관 동향 보고서 제2호 (2009년 12월). This is a translation of “Purpose Driven Progress,” translated with Hyunju Kim.
- “Purpose Driven Progress: Korean Studies Librarianship in North America, 1990-2009,” Journal of East Asian Librarianship 149 (Oct. 2009): 29-54.
- “The Korean Collections Consortium of North America.” In Proceedings of the Special Conference on the Evolving Research Library and East Asian Studies. 45-55. Beijing: International Academic Publishers, 1996.
- “Problems in Cataloging Korean Classical Literature.” CEAL Bulletin 94 (October 1991): 3-10.
- Duke University Library: Developing Korean collections and services, January 2006
- Emory University Library: Developing Korean collections and services, January 2006
- Yale University Library: Developing Korean collections and services, April 2004
- Vassar College Library: Developing Korean collections and services, April 2003
HONORS and AWARDS (Selected)
- National Medal of Merit, Republic of Korea (Korean Hunjang Songhyujang), October 2011.
GRANTS and FELLOWSHIPS (Selected)
- Korean Collections Consortium of North America, Korea Foundation. Co-investigator with other Korean Studies librarians, total awards to USC, 1992-2017, $500,000. Other cash grants for collection endowment and cataloging project: $140,000.
- Research Grant, USC Libraries $3,000, 2011.
- Enhancing Access to the “Sea of Korea” Map Collection at the Korean Heritage Library (a project to create compressed images, cataloging, and metadata), 2001. Total award: $6,500 by the Korean Consulate General, Los Angeles.
- Korean American Digital Archive (co-investigator), Library Technology and Services Act, California State Library, 2000. Total award: $92,000
- Korean Visiting Librarian Program, 1997-2000. Korea Research Foundation. Total awards: ca. $60,000.
- Survey of Acquisitions Sources for Korean Research Materials, a research grant for a field work in Korea, July 1-August 31, 1990; Korea research Foundation.
- Summer Institute on East Asian Librarianship, University of Washington, 1988. Fellowship sponsored by the Department of Education.
- Transition into Management. UCLA, 1979. Fellowship sponsored by the California State Library.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE (Selected)
Council on East Asian Libraries, Association for Asian Studies
- President, Council on East Asian Libraries, Association for Asian Studies, 2010-2012
- Vice President/President Elect, Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL), 2008-2010
- Member, Ask a Korean Studies Librarian, 2009-
- Chair, Special Committee on LC-CEAL Cataloging Internship, 2006-2009
- Co-Chair, CEAL Special Committee for Seoul IFLA, 2005-2007
- Co-Chair, Scholarly Information on East Asia in the 21st Century, IFLA Satellite Meeting in conjunction with WLIC Seoul, 2006
- Executive Board: Secretary, 2002-2006; member, 1998-2006
- Committee on Technical Processing, 2005-
- Task Force for JEAL (the Journal of East Asian Libraries) as a Refereed Journal, 2004
- Committee on Korean Materials: Chair, 1999-2002; Member, 1996-2005
Association for Asian Studies
- Member, Executive Board, Korean Studies Committee, 2010-2012
Korean Collections Consortium of North America
- Chair, 2007-2008, 2001/2002
- Secretary, 2006-2007, 1993-1995
- Acting Chair, 1996
OCLC CJK Users Group
- Korean Officer, Executive Board, 1991-1995, 1997-2001
- Member, Program Committee, 1991-1995, 1998-2001
- Member, Task Force on Cooperative Retrospective Conversion, 1991-1995
Korean American Librarians Association
- President, 1990.
- Vice President, 1989.
- Editor, KALA Newsletter, 1987-1990.
- Public Relations Coordinator, 1987.
- Faculty Advisor, Amen Chamber Choir, 2009-2012
- Faculty Advisor, USC Korean Association in Social Studies, 2005-2007
- Faculty Advisor, USC Korean Campus Mission, 1999-2003
USC LIBRARY SERVICE (Selected)
- Personnel Steering Committee, 1997-1998, 2003-2005, 2013-2015
- Diversity Liaison, 2004-2008
- Executive Council, 2002-2003
- Executive Council Secretary, 2001-2002
- Personnel Committee, 1991/1992, 1994-1996, 1997-1999, 2003-2005
- Appointment, Promotion, Continuing Appointment/Tenure Panel, 1991/1992, 1994/1995, 1998/1999, 2004-2006, 2013-2015
- Peer Review Panel, 1994-1998, 2004
- Professional Development Committee, 1998-2000
- Korean—Native language
- Japanese—Bibliographic knowledge
- Chinese—Bibliographic knowledge