©2015 University of Southern California
Using Library Facilities
The USC Libraries provide services, facilities, and technological resources in support of the university's educational, research, clinical, artistic, professional, and community-service goals. The following policies, governing the use of the facilities and collections, reflect this mission.
The libraries' staff is committed to maintaining a quality study and research environment, protecting the rights of users, and sustaining the integrity of its collections. In addition to the policies noted below, university-wide policies and civil laws related to facilities and collections vandalism apply.
- Members of the USC community (current USC students, faculty, staff, and alumni) with valid university-issued identification may use any USC library during operating hours.
- The general public may use the libraries for academic and research-related purposes when resources are not in use by or reserved for USC students, faculty, staff, alumni, or other members of the USC community. (Please note: Only USC students, faculty, staff, and alumni and sponsored guests may be present in libraries open after 9:00 p.m. or before 7:00 a.m. All patrons will be asked to present their USCard or library-issued USC identification during these times.)
- Anyone engaging in disruptive behavior or otherwise undermining a studious atmosphere may be asked to leave. Disruptive behavior includes verbal abuse, loud talking, shouting, running, sleeping, or any other activity that might disturb the concentration of others.
- Anyone who mutilates, defaces, tears, writes on, or otherwise injures any library material or facility may lose library privileges. They also may face appropriate administrative action within the university as well as prosecution under state law.
- The USC Libraries reserve the right to refuse access and borrowing privileges to any person who fails to observe libraries regulations.
- Selected collections, resources, workstations, and services are reserved for the exclusive use of USC community members. Other special usage rules may apply. Please consult with staff in applicable locations.
- Group study rooms are for use by current students only. Students may reserve group study rooms by consulting the staff at the facilities where these rooms are located. Leavey Library study rooms can now be reserved online.
- Individuals who wish to film or photograph within a library facility must obtain the permission of the libraries' facilities staff. Such requests will be accommodated only if the proposed activity results in minimal impact to the facility‘s environment for research and study. For student filming, review the approval process.
- Please read our food and drinks policy.
- Display of posters, distribution of literature, or solicitation is prohibited except in designated areas or with the permission of the head of the relevant library unit.
- Public computers in all USC Libraries locations are for searching academic catalogs only and are not intended for extended personal use.