If you are experiencing problems accessing electronic resources using the proxy server, please try the following steps:
- Reload the page.
- Check if the browser is configured to accept cookies. See the instructions on the "browser configuration" page.
- Wait a few minutes and try again. There is an assigned number of simultaneous users for certain electronic resources. When the maximum number of users are logged in, wait a few minutes and try again. Often, instead of a message indicating the resource is busy, you simply will be denied access. We are currently working with our resource providers to amend the message with more specific information about maximum number of user reached.
- Change to a different browser and/or computer. This can help determine if the problem is the computer configuration or the electronic resource.
- You may be prompted for a username and password when none is required. This often is an indication that too many users are trying to access the resource at one time. Please wait a few minutes and try accessing again.
Firefox-specific troubleshooting tips:
The Firefox browser provides a customized user experience through add-ons. Some of the add-ons cause conflicts with electronic resource access. If you are experiencing problems accessing electronic resources using Firefox, please take the following steps:
- When Firefox responds slowly, go to Tools/Downloads and clear the Download list.
- Disable the Firefox extensions. Under the Firefox Tool menu, select Add-ons and choose Disable for all of the extensions. Next, re-start Firefox. Once the proxy server is working, start re-enabling the extensions one-by-one to find the offending add-on.
- If using the Zotero extension, disable Automatically remember proxied resources in the Zotero settings under the Proxies tab. This feature has been known to cause URL conflicts, especially if you use multiple proxies.
Amazon Kindle Fire troubleshooting:
If you are using Silk browser in the Amazon Kindle Fire, follow these instructions to disable caching:
- Go to Web -> Settings.
- Scroll down and uncheck "Accelerate page loading".
If you need additional assistance, please contact us.