Located in the south-east wing of the Allan Hancock Foundation Building, the Hancock Memorial Museum is comprised of the four public rooms from the original Hancock mansion. Built in 1909 at the northeast corner of Vermont Avenue and Wilshire boulevard, where it stood for 30 years, the mansion was designed by John C. W. Austin, in part in classical Palladian style after the famed Villa de Medici in Florence, Italy.
In 1939, the Reception Hall, Dining Room, Library and the beautifully appointed Music Salonwere carefully dismantled and installed on the University campus as a memorial to Captain Allan Hancock's dearly beloved mother, Ida Haraszthy Hancock Ross.
The Museum is open to the public by appointment. To arrange a visit to the Museum, contact the curator, or call (213) 740-5141.