The Science & Engineering Library in the Seaver Science Center opened in January 1970. Before that time there were two separate libraries, one for science, which opened in the early 1920s, and one for engineering, which opened in 1942.
In 2003, a Science & Engineering Library Planning Task Force, comprised of USC faculty and students in the sciences, was convened. That group's final report was completed in December 2003.
The Multi-Group Study Space located on the 2nd floor was created in Spring 2009 thanks to a grant from the Anton Burg Foundation.
The USC Libraries funded the renovation of the 1st floor during Summer 2010.