Main Reading Room

James Harmon Hoose was the first Head of the School of Philosophy when the department was located in the Bovard Administration Building and in 1921 USC held a dedication for the two upper floors to be named The James Harmon Hoose Hall of Philosophy. 

The James Harmon Hoose Library of Philosophy was established in 1929, the first library built on USC’s main campus, and is located in the Seeley Wintersmith Mudd Memorial Hall of Philosophy (MHP). The Hoose Library of Philosophy was designed by architect Ralph Carlin Flewelling, the son of Ralph Tyler Flewelling, the first Director of the School of Philosophy, and was designated a City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument in 2013 and is also part of the University of Southern California National Historic District as designated by the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.  For more information about the history of Hoose Library of Philosophy and Mudd Hall of Philosophy, check out our library guide on the Hoose Library of Philosophy: Collections, History, Art and Architecture, and Digital Humanities Projects and Resources.