Library Schedule this Week
Closes at midnight
Printers, copiers, and scanners are located on the second and third floors. ITS also provides printers on the Lower Level.
Collaborative workrooms are available on the Lower Level, 2nd, and 3rd floors of Leavey Library. To reserve a group study room, go to http://libcal.usc.edu.
Located in the first-floor lobby.
Computing facilities are available on the second floor. Mac and PC options available.
University of Southern California
651 West 35th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2571
Campus map code: LVL
Circulation (213) 740-4350
Administration (213) 740-0049
Lower Level Information Commons (213) 740-9223
2nd Floor Information Commons (213) 740-7988
3rd Floor Information Desk (213) 740-6938
Reference Consultations (213) 740-7988
ITS Customer Support (213) 740 5555
About this library
The Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Library provides a state-of-the-art learning environment for students and faculty at the University of Southern California. Leavey’s print and electronic collections, services, and technology are designed to facilitate coursework, studying, and research. Experts are available 24 hours a day to provide assistance with research and computing. Leavey’s technology-enhanced spaces support teaching and individual or group study—as well as film screenings, multimedia production and viewing, presentations, and videoconferencing.
Hours and Services:
During Fall and Spring semesters Leavey is open continuously until midnight Saturday and reopens at 9am on Sunday. During finals the library is open continuously. Hours during holidays and summer vary.
All library services stop 15 minutes before closing, and all patrons are asked to leave before closing time.
Leavey Library Third Floor Now Open - Fall 2016
Renovation of the 3rd floor east side is complete, and the west side was partially updated.
The 3rd floor received new carpet, paint and furniture that matches the decor of the 1st floor and basement. Upgrades include:
- more study seats - 100 study seats are equipped with electrical outlets for laptop use; laptop lounge chairs and carrels are also available
- more collaborative rooms - ten new group study rooms available. 302B holds 10 students and is first come first served. 302A, 301A-H are reservable online at http://libcal.usc.edu/booking/lvl3 and room capacity varies from 2 to 10 students.
- more access to electricity for laptop users - new study tables, laptop lounge chairs, and group study rooms provide easy access to electricity
- more printer/scanner/copiers on east side - new "printer bar" holds 3 printer/scanner/copiers and 1 photocopier
- fast network connectivity - 1 gigabit per second
- Information Desk - open all building hours with help for questions and printer issues on the 3rd floor
Leavey Library Second Floor Enhancements - Fall 2016
Thirteen of the group study rooms (201A-G and 202B-H) on the 2nd floor have been enhanced with 30" Samsung monitors and HDMI cables, so that students can display their laptop screens on the large monitors. These rooms hold 4-6 students each. Reserve these rooms online at http://libcal.usc.edu/booking/lvl2
Room 202I is available for large study groups of up to 14 students. Reserve online at http://libcal.usc.edu/booking/lvl2
Room 202A is first come first served for up to 14 students.
Room 201D is reserved for librarian consultations; it is open for study space when not in use. The room holds up to 14 students, and provides a large 60" Samsung display and long tables for study. The room is equipped to allow students to project to the large display from their mobile devices. See instructions in the room for more information.
Leavey Library Second Floor Now Open - Fall 2015
Renovation of the 2nd floor in Leavey Library is complete. All areas of the 2nd floor received new carpet, paint and furniture that matches the décor of the 1st floor and basement. Upgrades include:
- more study seats - increased from 206 to 310 seats
- upgraded desktop computers - increased to 76 Windows and Mac desktops running productivity, statistical, and design software
- more access to electricity for laptop users - group study rooms have tables with electrical outlets for laptop use, new study tables and laptop lounge chairs provide easy access to electricity
- more collaborative rooms - 17 group study rooms hold 4-6 students each, 2 new group study rooms (202A and 202J) added for large groups of 14 students each
- more printer/scanner/copiers - new "printer bar" holds 4 printer/scanner/copiers and 1 photocopier
- faster network connectivity - within the next month, network connectivity will increase 10 times to 1 gigabit per second
- new reading area in lobby - New Books (books added within last three months) and McNaughton Collection (recent bestsellers), with comfortable chairs
- Information Desk - open all building hours with help for reference questions, printer and computer issues on the 2nd floor
- Library Security Desk - laptop lock checkout and help with security issues
- Research Consultation Room - research consultations with librarians
The 2nd floor renovation was funded by the Provost's Office.
Leavey offers a core research and reference collection, a film library of more than 7000 DVDs, and a selection of the most requested academic journals, magazines, and newspapers. You can browse Leavey’s featured collections of plays, classic works of literature and philosophy, recent best-sellers, and new books. The USC Libraries also provide a wealth of online resources, including full-text journals, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and photographic databases.
Research and Computing Help
- Reference librarians provide individual research assistance by consultation appointment and online at Ask-A-Librarian.
- Reference and computing help is available 24 hours a day in the Upper Information Commons during the fall and spring semesters.
- Consultants from the Writing Center are available to help with course papers in the Ahmanson Information Commons (Leavey Lower Level) during the fall and spring semesters.
- Librarians teach a variety of classes about research basics and critical strategies for finding, evaluating, and using print and online information effectively.
Circulation Desk: Your USCard is also your library card. Present it at the circulation desk on the first floor to borrow or renew materials, and to obtain information about your account. You can also pay fines and report lost items or library cards.
Course Reserves: Undergraduate and graduate course reserves are available at the Leavey circulation desk. The USC Libraries’ online catalog HOMER shows a complete list of reserves materials arranged by professors’ names and course numbers. Electronic course reserves are available at reserves.usc.edu
Leavey Library is located on the northeast corner of campus (near the intersection of Jefferson Boulevard and Figueroa Street).
Closest campus entrance to Leavey Library is Gate Entrance #3 (213) 740-3848, located at the intersection of West 35th Street and Figueroa Street, which is open 24 hours a day. Public parking is available for $10.00 Monday through Friday. Parking availability may change due to special events.
Please note: Only USC students, faculty, and staff may be present in libraries open after 9:00 p.m. or before 7:00 a.m. All patrons will be asked to present their USC-issued identification during these times. For more information, please see our Access and Borrowing Policies page.