(1895-1988). Medical social worker.
Interviewed by Lola Selby. Date of interview: 3-30/31-87. 1 cassette tape (1 duplicate tape). Length of interview: 1 hour and 28 minutes. Transcript of interview: 25 pp. (1 copy of rough draft of interview). CD containing interview and transcript.
Childhood in France and New York; education at UC, Berkeley; work in health services in Alameda; work with LA County health services; establishment of schools of social welfare in California; her education at University of Chicago; return to Los Angeles and work with LA County health services; structure of public health services in southern California in 1920s (?); eligibility requirements for county health care; coordination of county health services; private LA social health agencies; education at University of Chicago; reflections on social work career; work with tuberculosis control; USC School of Social Work; final reflections.
- California Social Work Hall of Distinction Biography
- 1 diskette of transcript of interview.
- List of questions for interview.
- Letter to Lillian Simpson from Florence Swindell re new medical social worker (11-12-30).
- Notes by Lola Selby re Buben interview.
- Handwritten list of activities (done by Buben?).
- Commemorative program for NASW awards dinner, 28 May 1964, Los Angeles, CA.
- Correspondence (2 letters) re awards to Zdenka Buben.
- Certificate of Award to Z. Buben from Welfare Council of Metropolitan Los Angeles, Health Division.
- 3 photographs of Zdenka Buben, ranging in size from 5 x 7 in. to 8.5 x 11.5 in. 1 photograph 7 ¼ x 5 in of Alameda City Health Center.
- 1 offprint of article: Zdenka Buben, "Tuberculosis Case Finding as Viewed by the Social Worker," Hospital Social Service 26 (1932): 286-90.
- Pacific Coast Journal of Nursing 28 (1932). Includes article by Zdenka Buben entitled "Case Finding in Tuberculosis."
- Acknowledgement of receipt of offprints of articles by Z. Buben from German research institutions.
- News article re Z. Buben and her accomplishments.
Download the transcript: