On Saturday, Feb. 26, the USC Libraries will honor the year’s most accomplished adaptations of the written word—and everyone can follow along at home. The 34th-annual Scripter Award ceremony, held online this year, will stream live at scripter.usc.edu beginning at 7:30 p.m. PST.
The finalist writers for film adaptation are, in alphabetical order by film title:
- Screenwriters Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts, and Denis Villeneuve, for “Dune” based on the novel by Frank Herbert
- Maggie Gyllenhaal for “The Lost Daughter” based on the novel by Elena Ferrante
- Rebecca Hall for “Passing” based on the novel by Nella Larsen
- Screenwriter Jane Campion and author Thomas Savage for “The Power of the Dog”
- Screenwriter Joel Coen and playwright William Shakespeare for “The Tragedy of Macbeth”
The finalist writers for episodic series are, in alphabetical order by series title:
- Danny Strong, for the episode “The People vs. Purdue Pharma,” from “Dopesick,” based on the nonfiction book “Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America,” by Beth Macy
- Molly Smith Metzler for the episode “Dollar Store,” from “Maid,” based on the memoir “Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay and a Mother’s Will to Survive” by Stephanie Land
- Patrick Somerville for the episode “Wheel of Fire,” from “Station Eleven,” based on the novel by Emily St. John Mandel
- Barry Jenkins for the episode “Indiana Winter” from “The Underground Railroad,” based on the novel by Colson Whitehead
- Jac Schaeffer for the episode “Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience,” from “WandaVision” based on Marvel Comics characters created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
The winners will be announced at the ceremony, which will also honor writer-director Barry Jenkins with the presentation of the Literary Achievement Award. Jenkins, a nominee this year for “The Underground Railroad,” previously won the 2017 Scripter for “Moonlight” and was a finalist in 2019 for “If Beale Street Could Talk.”
For more information about the Scripter Awards, email email@example.com or visit scripter.usc.edu.