©2017 University of Southern California
Student Filming Guidelines for the USC Libraries
The USC Libraries supports the educational process for developing film producers.
We have established the following guidelines which must be observed during student filming:
- All student shoots must be course related.
- Requests to film in the libraries must be made at least one week prior to the shoot date.
- The libraries charges $20 per hour for administrative support.
- A designated location manager must be on-site at all times while the production is working within a library.
- If the cast and crew number ten or more, a Department of Public Safety (DPS) officer must be on hand as well. It is the productions team's responsibility to schedule an officer. The phone number for DPS is 213-740-6000. Filming will not be permitted without a DPS officer.
- All production staff and all equipment must be out of the building by the time stated on the Location Release Form.
Locations and Times
Shoots must be scheduled during operating hours of the library. All productions must vacate the building at the scheduled time and no later than 1/2 hours before the close of the library.
The following locations are available in Doheny Memorial Library (DML):
- Library Stacks (Levels 1, 2, 4, 9)
- Room 240 (Second Floor)
- Ground Floor Rotunda (Monday-Thursday after 5 p.m.)
- L.A. Times Reference Room (First Floor)
- Humanities Reading Room (First Floor)
- Hall of Honor (First Floor Card Catalog Room)
- A Student Production Office Location Release Form must be submitted for signature. The use of a library location should not be considered approved until the form is signed by authorized Library Facilities personnel.
- If you are shooting in a DML First Floor Reading Room, you may only use hand held cameras. You may not use supplemental lighting and dialog and sound are not permitted.
- Be mindful of the needs of library patrons.
- Electrical - maximum 1K per circuit; all cords crossing pathways must be taped down.
- Camera dollies, smoke and smoke effects are not allowed.
- Set dressing should be kept to a minimum and is subject to approval. Any library furniture approved for use in a production must be returned to its original location.
- Library books may not be removed from shelves for use in a production.
- The production will be charged for the repair of any damage incurred.
- Safety First! Unsafe productions will not be permitted.
If you can film within these guidelines, submit our online form to begin the approval process.
Commercial filming requests can be made by contacting the USC Campus Filming Office.
Acknowledgement to follow the Student Filming Guidelines for the USC Libraries
Print and complete after your shoot is approved by Library Facilities.
Production Title: _____________________
Course Number: _____________________
Course Name: _____________________
Date of Shoot: _____________________
Time of Shoot: ________ to ________
Library location(s): _____________________
I acknowledge that I have read and understand these guidelines.
Contact Phone: _____________________